Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Media Release Service

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Pajhwok Mobile App

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Afghan forces repulse massive Barg-i-Matal attack

Afghan forces repulse massive Barg-i-Matal attack

By
On
Sep 11, 2017 - 15:43

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Security forces pushed back a massive Taliban assault on the Barg-i-Matal district of eastern Nuristan province on Monday, officials claimed.

More than 300 Taliban militants, including foreigners, stormed the district headquarters in the morning, sparking a fierce gun-battle with security forces.

Security officials said so far 33 attackers had been killed and 20 others wounded in the clash that left one Afghan army soldier and two civilians dead.

Three ANA soldiers were wounded during the ongoing clash that began at about 5am this morning.

Nuristan police chief Brig. Gen. Ghulam Muhiuddin Sarwari told Pajhwok Afghan News at 4:45pm that the clash had ended, but sporadic firing continued.

He said the attackers were inflicted heavy casualties in airstrikes by the Afghan air force. He said the insurgents were now busy removing their dead and wounded colleagues.

“They transferred 20 dead bodies from Badmok village, six injured and 13 bodies of the insurgents remain on the battlefield,” the police chief said.

He said they had previously received reports estimating the number of the attackers at 350, but latest reports put their strength at about 700.

About the presence of foreigners among the ranks of the attackers, the police chief said foreigners had been seen on the battlefield.

He said a Pakistani major, Yousaf, had joined the clashes with a 20-member group and it was possible there were more foreigners.

The governor’s spokesman, Saeed Momand, said 20 Taliban attackers were killed and 25 others wounded after they attacked the Barg-i-Matal district.

He also confirmed the death of two civilians and one Afghan solder in the conflict.

“Two rockets fired by the attackers hit a mosque and some homes have also been damaged, killing two children.”

ANA 201 Selab Military Corps spokesman Sherin Aqa Faqiri said the attack was neutralized after the air forces arrived at the scene.

Nuristan provincial council head Sadullah Paindazoy said a large number of attackers and five security personnel were killed and eight others wounded during the clash that he said was still ongoing.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said so far more than 20 security forces had been killed and seven posts captured by the fighters.

He said the district remained besieged by the fighters and the clash was ongoing.

ma