Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Media Release Service

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Pajhwok Mobile App

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Jalalabad rally denounces civilian deaths in US airstrike

Jalalabad rally denounces civilian deaths in US airstrike

By
On
Aug 16, 2017 - 16:29

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Dozens of people on Wednesday protested against the alleged killing of civilians in a US airstrike in the Haska Mena district of eastern Nangarhar province.

The protesters, who had gathered in front of the Governor’s House in Jalalabad, the provincial capital, asked the government to ensure civilians and unarmed people were protected during operations.

They warned of blocking the Torkham-Jalalabad highway if incidents of civilian casualties recurred.

Last week 16 people, including women and children, were allegedly killed in US airstrikes in Haska Mena district. Local residents and officials confirmed the incident, but foreign forces claimed the dead were Daesh insurgents.

The protesters, joined by provincial council members, complained against the government’s silence over the civilian deaths in foreign forces bombardment.

Naveed Shinwari, one of the protesters, said if such incidents continued, they would block the Torkham-Jalalabad highway in future.

Zabihullah Zamarai, a provincial council member, said people in rural areas suffered at the hands of both rebels and security forces.

He said foreign forces had killed family members of Saifullah and Syed Gulab who were common people and had nothing to do with insurgency.

Dr. Mohammad Nasir Kamawal, another public representative, said people should protest against civilian casualties in foreign forces bombardment.

The protesters passed a resolution asking the president to pay proper attention to Nangarhar and civilian deaths at the hands of foreign forces.

The governor’s spokesman, Attaullah Khogyani, confirmed receiving reports regarding civilian casualties in US bombardment in Haska Mena, but said the incident was being investigated to unearth the truth.

nh/ma

 

Tags: