Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Media Release Service

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Pajhwok Mobile App

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Displaced before Eid, Haska Mena IDPs in dire situation

Displaced before Eid, Haska Mena IDPs in dire situation

By
On
Jul 02, 2017 - 01:35

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Hundreds of families, who were ordered to vacate homes three days ahead of Eidul Fitr prior to planned airstrikes against Daesh militants in Haska Mena district of eastern Nangarhar province, remain displaced.

The families numbering around 400 told Pajhwok Afghan News on Saturday that the government had not assisted them since ordering them to leave homes three days ahead of Eid as airstrikes were to be initiated against Daesh militants.

The families belonging to more than a dozen villages of Haska Mena district have been struggling with numerous problems.

Abdul Rahim, who was displaced from Gagra village, told Pajhwok Afghan News that the government through helicopters-borne security forces ordered local residents to vacate homes and move to safety.

“When the district officials told us to leave because airstrikes are planned against Daesh in our area, we left without taking anything from home.”

Mohammad, a displaced person from Gurguri village, said his family lacked shelter, food and drinking water, urging the government to come to their rescue.

“These families reside in schools, clinics, near natural steams and some under trees and face a host of issues.”

Ghulam Mohammad from Oghaz area who has taken refuge in a ruined home near the district centre, said they had not been assisted so far.

He said they had been many times invited to the district headquarters but they were never assisted and the aid in their name was misappropriated.

A local resident, Obaidullah, a 14-year-old student, said their school was occupied by the displaced families. “All the displaced families have settled in schools, so there are vacations.”

An influential tribal elder Haji Khalil also said the displaced families were in a dire situation and needed urgent assistance.

Haska Mena district chief Sazwali Shinwari also acknowledged the displaced families needed assistance.

He said all the displaced families numbering around 400 had moved to areas near the district centre and were struggling with numerous problems.

He lamented the provincial government had ignored the displaced families of Haska Mena district while such families in other districts received aid.

The Nangarhar governor’s spokesman, Attaullah Khogyani, reiterated that the action in Haska Mena was part of operations against Daesh and the aim was to protect people’s lives.

He said the provincial refugee department had been directed to survey the displaced families.

Displaced families in other districts of Nangarhar have made similar complaints.

ma