Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Media Release Service

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Pajhwok Mobile App

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Daesh strength reaches 500 in Kunar, claims Kalimzai

Daesh strength reaches 500 in Kunar, claims Kalimzai

By
On
Apr 13, 2017 - 18:17

ASADABAD (Pajhwok): The governor on Thursday claimed the Islamic State militant group had launched a recruitment campaign in eastern Kunar province.

Waheedullah Kalimzai told Pajhwok Afghan News in an interview that the recruitment process of the group known in Afghanistan as Daesh had been ongoing over the past one year and their number had reached 500 fighters.

“Daesh rebels have not yet carried out any attack in Kunar but they have been seen with arms in some parts of the province,” he said, citing intelligence information.

Kalimzai said regional intelligence agencies were training and equipping non state actors in form of militants groups and were sending them to Afghanistan for their strategic purposes.

The governor declared Ghaziabad, Narai, Dangam and Chapa Dara district as insecure districts and claimed security situation in other parts of the province had improved.

Kalimzai also claimed a number of Daesh rebels had been killed and wounded in recent security forces’ operations but provided no figures.

“Daesh atrocities and persecution in Nangarhar ended up in strong resistance and hatred from people and officials in Kunar are trying to unite the people against brutal Daesh,” he said.

Kalemzai thanked the masses of their support to security forces and said: “The people are cooperative with security forces and all of them have sent their sons to the ranks of army and police, therefore security situation is stable in most parts of the province.”

The governor expressed concern over rocket attacks from Pakistan, saying the shelling resumed a two-year long lull.

Four people have been killed and seven others wounded due to Pakistan’s rocket attacks in the past two months. The Pakistani army fired around 900 rockets during this period.

In addition 285 families on the other side of the Durand Line evacuated their houses and sought shelter in a safe place.

nh/ma

Tags: