Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Media Release Service

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Pajhwok Mobile App

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Nimroz airport to be operational in 4 months

Nimroz airport to be operational in 4 months

Jun 07, 2015 - 21:08

ZARANJ (Pajhwok): In the wake of increasing public demand, construction work resumed on Sunday on the incomplete airport in Nimroz province, the new governor said.

Eng. Mohammad Sami, who inaugurated the construction work, said the vital project had been stopped due to funds shortage.

He said 70 percent work had been completed and the remaining 30 percent would be completed over the next four months.

The governor said 300 million afghanis had been spent on the airport and another 350 million afs were required to complete the project and make the facility operational.

Sami hoped the airport would be functional in four months and planes would be able to land and take-off.

Earlier, Economy Director Khanistan Munawar had said work on 26 key development projects, including the airport, had been stopped in the province due to a lack of funds.

Finance Ministry spokesman Abdul Qadir Jilani said the airport in Nimroz was a long-term project and it was not possible to release funds for such projects at once.

The airport manager, Hidayatullah Yaqubi, said earlier the runway was not asphalted, making it impossible for aircrafts to land. He added small air crafts and helicopters could land on the runway.

The airport was first designed and mapped in 1969, but with the passage of time local residents started constructing homes on their own in the airport area.

Local officials, businessmen and residents have been complaining about the lack of air services and raised concerns about insecurity on roads.